This procedure is usually done on a short-stay basis; however, in the presence of suspected complications, e.g., empyema, gangrene, or perforation, an inpatient stay on a surgical unit is indicated.
- Cholecystitis with cholelithiasis
- Psychosocial aspects of care
- Surgical intervention
- Patient Assessment Database/Diagnostic Studies
- Refer to CP: Cholecystitis with Cholelithiasis.
- Discharge plan
- DRG projected mean length of inpatient stay: 1 (laparoscopic)–4.3 days
- May require assistance with wound care/supplies, homemaker tasks
- Refer to section at end of plan for postdischarge considerations.
- Promote respiratory function.
- Prevent complications.
- Provide information about disease, procedure(s), prognosis, and treatment needs.
- Ventilation/oxygenation adequate for individual needs.
- Complications prevented/minimized.
- Disease process, surgical procedure, prognosis, and therapeutic regimen understood.
- Plan in place to meet needs after discharge.